- Check to see if you have antivirus protection. Most computers (desktops and laptops)come with antivirus protection. However, most times the protection is limited and you eventually have to pay for full service. A good free antivirus software is AVG free Edition, which you can download at www.download.com.
- Check to see if your Windows Defender is on. Go into your Control Panel then click System and Security. If you do not see Windows Defender that does not necessarily mean you don't have it. If you do not see it then close the Control Panel. Click the Windows Start Menu and in the search box type "Windows Defender. If it shows up, great! If not, download it from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17.
After it is downloaded, open it. Turn it on, and then let it do a full
computer scan. Once done, it should protect you from any unwanted
- Check to see if your Windows Firewall is on. Take the same steps to find the Windows Defender. This time, it will definitely be in the system and security section.
- Update Windows with the latest updates, patches, and service packs.
- Download SpyBot Search and Destroy from download.com. Let it do a full system scan and remove any unwanted spyware.